Thursday, December 16, 2004

I'll give this a whirl

So, this is a blog, 'eh? OK, swell.

I do like the Pigskin Pick 'Em board and this is why I too have decided to accept Herr Purdy's invitation. I'm not sure I have anything particularly clever to say at this point so I won't even try.

Although, I do have a book recommendation. I read in 1989 a book called "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. An awesome book that was truly enjoyable. One day while getting a new set of tires I walked over to the Barnes and Noble to check out the shelves - one of my small addictions. I came across the book and decided to pick it up again and see if it held water all these years later. And plesantly enough it did (unlike a particular Killing Joke CD I once revisited some 10 years after first hearing it). I loved it and whipped through it in 3 days. I won't get into a book review, you can go to Amazon for that. But if you are in the mood for some really enjoyable science fiction.

posted by Anonymous, 9:12 PM

1 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
Funny. I remember reading Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (is that the right title?) while Soden and I were rooming together in college. I LOVED those books, but I didn't keep enough momentum to follow through on the rest of the series. In fact, I think I have my old copy of Ender's Game sitting around somewhere. Thanks, Matt, for the heads up. I think I'll read it again, now. And maybe I'll wind up wending my way through the entire series.

Another side note: Card's "Treason" (which at the time was published under the title "A Planet Called Treason") was the single most important book if my teenage years. No story evoked so much sympathy from me. I dreamed I was a character in that book for years afterwards. An impressive body of work from a reportedly cranky Mormon writer (who lives right down the road from me, in Greensboro!).
...on December 16, 2004 9:55 PM  

Add a comment