Monday, December 20, 2004

My 2004 List!

With bated breath, you've been waiting! At long last, here it is!

10. Flying to Rock Concerts – Relative prosperity has its perks - Coachella, Devo, and Black Keys amongst them. Next up: Slint in Chicago, March 26.

9. Those niggardly bastards at the NHL (or How to Ruin a Great League, Part 1) – See: Gary Bettman

8. Compact Discs – Been listening to The Arcade Fire’s “Funeral,” The Streets’ “A Grand Don’t Come for Free,” and The Secret Machines’ “Now Here is Nowhere” over and over for the last 2 weeks to decide which is the best release of the year. My verdict? You already read it, in that order.

7. Music on DVD – James’ “Getting Away With It (Live),” their swan song performance, is simply the best music DVD I own (and I own quite a few)... features glorious 5.1 surround sound, marvelous cinematography, and Tim Booth. Marvelous. Did I say "marvelous?" Well, I meant it.

6. Movies – Ugh, REALLY bad year for movies, largely because I moved to Raleigh where the closest theater is 15 miles from my house. Still – “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” is as good as anything I've seen this millennium. You can’t spell “Michel Gondry” without g-o-d.

5. Books – Who reads? Not me, apparently. So, major props for the taking-a-dump book of the millennium: “America (The Book)”, which I've to date read almost half of in, oh, about 30 sittings. Laughed my ass off (good thing it didn’t fall far).

4. (Sounds VERY similar to #9, but substitute “NBA” for “NHL”) (or How to Ruin a Great League, Part 2) – See: Ron Artest

3. Videogames: “Otogi” sucked me in and didn’t let me out until 60 (SIXTY!) hours later. That reviewers call it a 10-hour game shows exactly how pathetically suckedy I am at videogames.

2. BC on the PP’E BB – His Mike Skinner smackdown a few weeks back was the second-cleverest inside joke of the year. “Bitter Bison Dele” was (and still is) the first. (Spoo would’ve been in contention had he gone with “Aaron Craver” instead of recycling “Luke Prestridge.” Bad move, that.)

1. No Surprise Here – Put your hands together for: Logan James Purdy! Huzzah!


posted by Bill Purdy, 11:48 AM

1 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Pat Angello, said:
What about Willie Oshodin, or Tony Lilly, or Sir Mawn Wilson, or Bill Van Heusen, or Keith Uecker, or Todd Husak?
...on December 21, 2004 11:10 AM  

Add a comment