Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Work from Home!

I got a cool, unexpected thing in the mail yesterday. Bill Horner, one of my friends from Denver (he lived next door for years, and stayed with my parents for a year to allow him to finish high school after his parents moved out of town), sent me two handmade CDs and a (shocking!) hand-written letter of explanation.

Seems he and a couple of friends decided to start a "CD-of-the-month" club, where each committed to making and distributing a certain number of CDs at a pre-determined interval. After each CD had been compiled and recorded, the compiler also produced relatively lengthy 150- to 200-word mini-essays about each song: what the song meant to the compiler, and why it was included in the set (thematically). Recipients of the CD include all the other compilers, plus anyone else to whom the set might be meaningful (I was the latter type of recipient).

I'd like to start a similar club. The folks who congregate here are perfect participants -- we all love music, and we all have wildly divergent (but, except for Pat, really good) tastes. Importantly, we can all write about it compellingly and evocatively.

Please leave a comment here if you are interested in participating. I'll draw up a schedule and we'll get this baby rolling.

posted by Bill Purdy, 9:20 AM

4 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Pat Angello, said:
Just for that, my CDs will be the best of the best. Ass! Do you WANT me in this little club of yours or not?
...on May 11, 2005 10:02 AM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
ROUSING response to my post! You guys are the best!

OK, there's three of us, plus Beth. I'll leave it open for a spell to see if I can't generate any more interest, then I'll post a schedule here on the blog. Dunno about you guys, but I'm already composing my first disc...!
...on May 26, 2005 9:44 AM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
Uh... Beth, no insult intended. Had you replied prior to my comment (with Pat and Matt), my comment would have read: "...four of us." I added you seperately because I assumed you'd be participating. So, it was a gesture of inclusion, not one of almost-omission.
...on June 24, 2005 12:12 PM  

Blogger Pat Angello, said:
Billy - do you realize its been 7 weeks since you have blogged?

I know yer busy and all, but we miss you!

BTW, I've got my computers and CDs out of storage and I'm ready to burn, baby!
...on June 28, 2005 2:30 PM  

Add a comment