Friday, June 10, 2005

More Reality TV Hell

OK, so last night I turned on teh TV and saw a show called "Hit Me Baby One More Time". Bad enough that it is the title of a Brittney Spears song but the premise, or the raison d'etre of this show is to have one-hit wonders has-beens play their famous song for an audience and then play a contemporary song. As an example Tommy TuTone of 867-5309 fame came on, played their ditty and then came back and played a Blink 182 song. In between the oldies and the cover tunes was a mini bio of what the band is up to now.

On top of the on screen trainwreck the sound was horrible. The audience cheers and applause was SO MUCH LOUDER than most anything else. My guess is that they turned up that channel to disguise the sounds coming off the bandstand.

The victims last night were The Knack ("My Sharona"), Tommy TuTone (867-5309), Haddaway ("What is Love"), The Motels ("Only the Loney") and everybody's favorite washed-up, "hey it was my label's decision, that wasn't the real me"rapper Vanilla Ice ("Ice Ice Baby"). Both Jeannine and I watched it for a little while and then couldn't take it any longer. We felt so sorry for these guys trying to regain some of the past glory. One dude from Tommy TuTone came out in leather pants. Another guy showed up in a fashionable berret and sunglasses. It was just so sad. And the audience, when the cameras panned to it, looked far too young to have ever enjoyed those songs in their original glory. My guess is that if you asked them if they had any 45s they'd tell you that they don't have a pistol permit.

What is the point of this post? Not sure. But last week Loverboy was on. I missed it. Damn.

posted by Anonymous, 2:56 PM

1 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Pat Angello, said:
I saw it last week and, much to my surprise, I loved it. I think I have issues. Also disappointed that I missed Loverboy the week before. And disappointed that we will miss Howard Jones this week as we're moving and will be between Dish and cable.

Anyone care to tape it? Seriuosly, I'm infatuated!
...on June 13, 2005 11:38 AM  

Add a comment