Saturday, July 30, 2005

Googled!

I installed a new site counter (it's called Sitemeter -- check it out, it's free!) a couple days ago because the one I was using before has exceeded its server capacity and had promised a reduction in service to zero very soon. Sitemeter is cool because it not only counts unique visits to the site, it tells you how they got there. And, since Google owns Blogger, blogs like mine frequently turn up in Google searches. Here are three searches that turned into page visits last night:


Click 'em yourself if you want to see why the search results returned The Bitter Buffalo.

(Special note to recent Googlers: Ever since the 3rd season finale of Reno 911! aired, my hit counts have nearly tripled from people like you who are hoping to divine the truth to the Aaron Ruell (who starred as Kip in Napoleon Dynamite) / Reno 911! mystery. I Googled the answer for you already: Aaron Ruell is not Craig, the Truckee River Killer. He is a photographer and BYU college buddy of the guy who wrote and directed ND. The guy who plays Craig in Reno is named Kyle Dunnigan, and he's a circuit stand-up comedian. Sorry to burst your bubble. The least you ingrates could do is leave a comment thanking me.)

It appears the public is concerned about the spooky resemblance (coincidental, I assure you) between Kip from Napoleon Dynamite and the guy who plays the Truckee River Killer on Reno 911! (all four Aaron Ruell searches came from different ISPs, so it's not just one obsessive guy trying to uncover the entertainment scoop of the century). And they appear equally interested in slutty goths and naked women in Wes Anderson movies.

Man, I love the Internet.

posted by Bill Purdy, 7:36 AM

4 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Pat Angello, said:
I'm dying to know how to see what searches lead to my site. Tell me, tell me, tell me how to do it!

BTW, the Train was of no assistance last night. I'm still not networked. Odd that he's running the NETWORK operating center for Expedia, no?
...on July 31, 2005 11:53 PM  

Blogger Pat Angello, said:
I didn't see you on the slutty goth thing, but that's my freakin' Life Aquatic review leading to your site? WTF?
...on July 31, 2005 11:54 PM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
Dude!

Just set up an account (takes 3 minutes), then download the code and paste it into your template where your Nerds-on-Site counter is. Couldn't be easier. After it's installed, you can access your reports by clicking on the counter. "Recent Visitors: By Referrals" shows you how people got to your site.

I think it's funny that most of the searches hit on your contributions. Here's what hit last night:

"drunk people" (AOL search)
"good cover songs"
"catholic schoolgirl look" (dunno what this guy was looking for, but I'm almost positive he didn't find it at The Buffalo.)

Plus, about five more people hit on the Aaron Ruell / Reno 911! thing. I think that's what drove my hit counter from 400 to 900 during the time I didn't add a single post.
...on August 01, 2005 7:09 AM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
"Slutty Goth" is on the second page of hits. It links to my review of Dresden Dolls at Coachella.
...on August 01, 2005 7:11 AM  

Add a comment