Monday, August 08, 2005

Adulthood Confirmed

I've decided that I am indeed a confirmed adult. If having a job, a mortgage and two kids didn't do it the highlight of this weekend did. We took delivery of our new dishwasher.

We bought a Sears Kenmore Elite refrigerator a few months ago to replace the one that was dying. I tell you that to tell you that our selection set was fairly narrow as we wanted the appliances to match. Our 'fridge has stainless steel doors therefore the dishwasher needs to have one as well - CHUNK selection set narrows (and the corresponding price goes up). We also wanted to have a dishwasher with hidden controls to keep curious fingers from turning it on or stopping a load in progress - CHUNK selection set further narrows. As to the price well, let's just say that of our posessions the dishwasher is the only thing that would make it on MTV Cribs - Bling, Bling indeed.

So, a Sears Kenmore Elite it is. I did some research and it rated very well from a quietness perspective (very important as the one it replaces sounded like it was about to launch itself right out of the kitchen and into orbit - ggggGGGGRRRRRrrrr, RRRRrrrrr, WHOOSH, WHOOSH), an energy usage perspective and how good a job it does actually cleaning the contents. So, off we went to Sears. Along with the cost of the machine itself we also paid for delivery and installation and a 5-year comprehensive warranty to cover any problems experienced as a result of the kids' apparent interest in all things both expensive and mechanical. All that and the post-tax income from my performance bonus pretty much vanished. Oh well, at least I can talk on the phone in the kitchen now...

Another confirming symptom of adulthood is that I actually get a kick out of reading Owner's Manuals. Used to be that in my youthful Devil-May-Care days they were optional and to be consulted in the event of an emergency. Of course, that is if I could find where I "filed" the darned thing in the first place (generally in the silverware drawner under two C-cell batteries, a collection of rubber bands, the random screw or two and a key to something long-ago forgotten). I've come to appreciate the value of Owner's Manuals. You learn about all sorts of interesting stuff like the overflow valve that shuts the machine off if there is a clog. I also learned that it has a built-in garbage disposal to crunch through any large pieces of food left on plates or pots and pans (no more rotting food stink wafting out). Cool. Adjustable and removable top shelf so I can wash oversized platters? Yep. Timed delay if I want it to run after I have gone to bed? Check. High pressure wash to clean baking pans? Got it. Now if I can just keep the kids from putting Matchbox cars and stuffed animals in it we will be just fine... Hey, wait, a hidden handle and latch system so they CAN'T open it. Got that too. Excellent!

posted by Anonymous, 11:39 AM

4 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
Matt, this makes me laugh and laugh because I know EXACTLY what you're going through. Except I rarely glance at Owner's Manuals (though I have them stacked in at least three places around the house, alongside manuals from such long since sold or thrown-away items as the cordless phone I bought in 1994 and the stove I bought as a kitchen "upgrade" before I could sell the old house in Charlotte).

What is it with stainless steel, anyway? It isn't exactly stainless (my $3,000 refrigerator, for which I paid an extra $500 or so for LESS room than a comparable model simply because it fit better in its space, has been covered in some sort of unremovable smeary fingerprint stain since the day it was delivered). And since magnets don't stick to it, you've reduced the utility of the appliance by a significant percentage (I am thinking of the cool alphabet letters you guys sent Logan, which stick to our not-stainless dishwasher, but not to our pricey cold box). With the reduced palette size of the dishwasher, Logan can only use the most popular letters: vowels, plus S, T, N, R, and L at any one time. I've squeezed in a G (barely), so he can at least spell his name.
...on August 09, 2005 9:54 AM  

Blogger opiatedsherpa, said:
This is site is wicked...

Found you through the Pat Angello site comments...

I'll pride myself on being a "stupid" hockey fan!! Oh yeah!

Go Canucks!
...on August 09, 2005 9:26 PM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
The Sherp here is definitely a stupid hockey fan, but his blog's pretty good. Click on his profile and check it out.

GO 'CANES!
...on August 10, 2005 8:58 AM  

Blogger Pat Angello, said:
The Sherp is getting around, like a bad swamp fungus in Utah!
...on August 10, 2005 9:17 AM  

Add a comment