Monday, August 29, 2005

Hot Sh*t!

The sauce.

You might not realize it right away, when it first hits your tongue. You taste citrus and smoke and maybe a hint of herb. It tastes good, real good, a lovely compliment to the morsel it accompanies.

Then the heat. It hits you like a train whistle, a sort of gustatory Doppler effect that grows and grows and ultimately bowls you over, changing in pitch and intensity over the course of ten seconds or so. Another minute later, your palate is on its way to recovery. Your tongue still tingles. Your brow is beaded with sweat. You feel strangely tired. But you also have a craving to repeat the process. Thus, another spoonful of the sauce on another bite of food.

You are addicted.

The perfect pepper sauce works exactly like I just described. It combines wonderful piquant flavor with a roaring heat that knocks you on your ass and leaves you clamoring for more. In my quest to find the perfect pepper sauce, I have tried dozens of commercial preparations and any number of homemade concoctions. Some were very flavorful, but lacked the heat I wanted. Others were hotter than sin, but tasted thin if at all.

So I took it upon myself to develop the perfect pepper sauce. The Bitter Buffalo Century Sauce is the result of my endeavors. I am sharing it with you because I have a young son who needs to learn one of life’s most important lessons: sharing is good.

That doesn’t mean you can have it entirely for free. Leave a comment if you make the Century Sauce yourself. Let me know what you think. And should you choose to make a batch of your own and decide to publish the recipe (in print or on the web), I’d appreciate it if you’d tell everyone you found it here. And if you decide to produce it commercially, please give me a call first. It’s my recipe after all, and if you make money off of it, then I should make some, too. Sharing, remember, is good.

Here’s how it’s made:

Start with 100 habanero peppers (that’s where the name “Century Sauce” comes from, duh). If you’re unsure where to get them, wait until next spring and pick up five or six seedlings from a nursery for a buck apiece, then stick them in well drained ground with good morning light. Water them and feed them, and with any luck by mid-August you’ll have an amazing bounty of habaneros with which you can do anything you want (of course, you’ll have to wait until next summer if you choose this method). Or, you can hit your local grocery store and buy them in bulk. Mine is currently selling them for $9 a pound. A hundred peppers weighs (by my estimate) about a pound an a half. You’ll still need to count them.

I got lucky this year because my father-in-law planted a bunch of habs as a border plant in his garden. They produced prodigiously. I used hundreds of them to perfect my Bitter Buffalo Century Sauce.

In case you are unfamiliar with habaneros, here’s a quick overview: they are just about the hottest pepper you can get. The unit of measurement used to describe the heat of a pepper is called a Scoville Unit, which basically measures the level of a compound called capsicum (which is what makes a pepper hot) in a pepper. A jalapeno, which you’ve probably eaten pickled and slathered on your nachos at a ball game many a time, is somewhere between 2,500 and 8,000 SCU (and if it’s pickled it’s probably on the lower end of this spectrum). You probably think of jalapenos as pretty hot, but they are nothing compared to habaneros. Habaneros measure between 100,000 and 350,000 SCU (that’s between twelve and 140 times as hot). Habaneros are also distinctly flavorful, with an intensely fruity flavor that belies the heat contained within.

And I’m telling you to use 100 of them in this sauce. Sounds crazy, I know, but you won’t think I’m crazy once you try it.
Now would be a good time to remind you that these peppers are dangerous. Therefore, WEAR GLOVES WHENEVER YOU ARE HANDLING THEM. I cannot stress this enough. You can get disposable latex gloves cheap at the drugstore. Wear them at all times. Believe me, you’ll want them. Pepper juice on your knuckles will cause an uncomfortable burning sensation in your fingers that can last for ten hours or more. You cannot wash it off once it’s on your skin. Worse, you cannot rub your eyes or touch any sensitive part of your body with fingers that have touched pepper juice. I am warning you now: be very careful.

OK. I’ve satisfied any insurance requirements now. Back to the recipe.

Now, aside from canning the stuff, you are pretty much done. Can the Century Sauce just as you would any vegetable: use mason jars and be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. The Century Sauce is a "high acid: food (that's a canning term, evidently), so all you really need to do is drop the filled jars in boiling water for five minutes to ensure a good, sterile seal. Let the jars cool for 12 hours and you’re done.

The Bitter Buffalo Century Sauce is easy to make, super tasty, and incredibly hot. It is, in my opinion, the perfect pepper sauce. Make some, and give a jar or two to your favorite chilihead for the holidays. They’d thank you if only their tongue weren’t so swollen.

posted by Bill Purdy, 12:28 PM

1 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Pat Angello, said:
Great idea for the holidays - we're on it!
...on August 29, 2005 1:13 PM  

Add a comment