Monday, August 15, 2005

Monday Extras

Three little mini-bloggies for a Monday:




posted by Bill Purdy, 2:19 PM

4 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
Matt, point by point:

1) Great review of an old show... I remember you telling me about it when I came up for Hooverphonic.

2) I wholly endorse your clever approach to purchasing and justifying the Harmony, Matt (you can trust TigerDirect, I've bought 2 Harmonys from them online... brick & mortar doesn't get much cheaper than $179, unfortunately, and the TigerDirect store here doesn't carry them anyway). Harmonys are commonly referred to in AV forums as "marriage savers," the value of which can be measured by your wife's increased satisfaction with your expensive and indulgent audio/video system, which prior to her being able to operate it easily was tolerated only because Dr. Phil looks so damned good on it. The downside, of course, is that she'll forever be changing the channel to whatever Lifetime Movie of the Week is showing at the time, forcing you into the bedroom to watch Adult Swim on the 17" relic there. I know this because a friend told me it happened to him exactly like I described.

3) I hate using printers, as much as I love paper. I never so much as print even airline itineraries (which has up and bit me a couple times now when I showed up at the airport on the wrong day). And god forbid if a website suggests I print a copy of a page for my records, I should do so.
...on August 16, 2005 10:53 AM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
Printers are a pain. Here at work, they're clustered in rooms that are not really anywhere near where I am most of the time. They are nice printers, no doubt -- high speed document centers for faxes, copying, printing, etc., plus color lasers that work pretty fast, too. We even have a giant plotter printer for poster-size charts. Very nice. But clustered printers means waiting in a queue most of the time for one of the 400 or so other people who are assigned to the same printer cluster to print, oh, I dunno, their entire email folder, all 135 pages of it, which just bugs the hell out of me after I've waited 5-10 minutes already for my stuff to print, and I've walked all the way to the printer cluster only to discover that Mr. Email Printer accidentally hit Print All a second time and the printer is sitting idle waiting for the asshole to put in a piece of Legal Paper. So, in order to avoid this kind of aggravation, I simply avoid printing as much as possible.

But one look at this ratty desk of mine would convince you I use the printer all the time. In fact, I simply neglect to use the trash can as much as I should.
...on August 17, 2005 7:44 AM  

Blogger Pat Angello, said:
What sucks is sitting next to the printer at work and having the entire office think you know how to fix it when it's broken.

BTW, I don't care what kind of sales pitch you have, there is no way on earth you will convince me to buy a $100 remote
...on August 17, 2005 12:24 PM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
I don't think I'm as much media-addicted as media-aware. I watch very little TV, for instance -- most of what I DO watch is either sports (not that there's much of that worthy of watching this time of year) or DVR'd: Reno 911!, Entourage, The Comeback, etc. I watch zero to four DVD movies a week, depending on the time of year (much more in winter - and just three total since the beginning of June). And I play XBox sometimes, which also varies seasonally. But I read an awful lot about the latest stuff & gadgets & whatnot. An awful lot.

My real problem began when I saw High Definition TV for the first time. We needed to replace an aging TV in the bedroom, and I thought an affordable Samsung 26-inch CRT HDTV would work nice in there. HDTV for under $600! And it fit in the armoire perfectly! And since HDTV is often broadcast in Dolby 5.1, we needed a surround sound setup, right? So I took Beth's old Sony receiver and added a small Bose Acoustimass speaker system (it's in our bedroom, so size is important). We got a new DVD player with progressive scan for the TV (not an expensive one -- just over $100), and hooked up my XBox in HD, as well as Beth's old PS2 and VCR (not that we EVER use that). Beth's old CD player and a new Dish Network HD box rounded out what was supposed to be a simple bedroom setup, but which accidentally became our showpiece system (for an investment of just over $1,400, which was mostly the speakers and the TV). The Harmony became necessary there because the remote controls (there were five of them) took up so much damned room on my nightstand!

Then, of course, since Logan is evidently (according to Beth) sensitive to TV-watching noise at night, I had to expand the downstairs system. The centerpiece is a $2,700 Samsung 50-inch DLP that I got for free (thanks, Marriott Rewards). I had to buy a stand for the TV (the $250 Samsung stand they show in the ads turned out to be a piece of junk), a Dish Network HDTV DVR, and another Acoustimass system, but even those items were reasonable in light of the free TV part. And I had to buy a Harmony. But now that I have everything set up, I'm pretty happy (though I could stand to wire the speakers behind the wall...).

Hmm. I guess one thing that characterizes the media-aware is our compulsion to describe our AV systems to others.
...on August 18, 2005 9:33 AM  

Add a comment