Friday, August 12, 2005

Rainforest Cafe

I am a contractor for one of the world's largest technology companies, right? One of it's flagship properties is right here in Durham, NC - Research Triangle Park (RTP), to be exact.

Flagship, my arse. My team was just moved from the client site to RTP. Our project's space at RTP isn't the Ritz in the first place - we are on the second floor of a modified factory and warehouse. Since they weren't really expecting our team (we traditionally work at the client site), we've been put in this tiny office.

The first thing they can't do for our team is get 3 network connections running in the same room, so we're still nomads in the warehouse, scattered about. Now, as I'm the only one on the team with connectivity in our designated office, this loverly environment, I'm sitting in an indoor rainforest! It rains in here every day! For real! Condensation collects on the AC vents and drips onto the floor, the desks, whatever. It's so humid, papers I left sitting on my desk over night are damp the next morning. So, I sit in here every day now, and drip dry on the way home. I'm determined to find some tropical plants to bring in - maybe a nice giant fern. And a soundtrack of birds and rainforest sounds to make the atmosphere complete.

The second thing my employer can't apparently manage is getting the air conditioning set for the building. In some halls it's freezing, in others, it's tepid. This is so extreme, someone on our project has actually posted a web page of the temperature fluctuations in some areas.

Ahhhh... free time at work; such bliss.

Anyway, I LOVE my tropical office. I'll post photos of the flora in here soon.

posted by Anonymous, 10:25 AM

0 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:

Add a comment