Friday, September 02, 2005

The Cruelest Intentions

I am sitting down to write my thoughts about the events unfolding in New Orleans, but I am beginning to think that I have no business doing so. Consider 1) I have never been to NO, 2) I don't really know anyone who lives there (though my mom's psychic friend hasn't been acounted for -- at least she should've seen it coming), and 3) the only real impact I've felt (aside from the discomfort of looking at pictures of suffering people) is the $3.44 I paid for a gollon of gas yesterday and the 20 minutes I waited in line to get it. No matter what I write, I can accurately be labeled an asshole for writing it. The four or five people who stop by here regularly probably expect as much from me, but the numerous Googlers lookig for an answer to the perplexing Aaron Ruell / Reno 911! mystery probably will not. For the Googlers, link here for your answer (I did the research for you). I'm afraid you'll be a bit disappointed by what you discover, though.

***

I gave it some thought. I won't be saying anything about Katrina right now, at least not here in this blog. What I have to say isn't very nice and basically ignores the immense human suffering that is happening in New Orleans right now. Maybe later, when the city has been evacuated, when the sick and injured have been attended to, and some semblance of order has been restored to their lives, I can be critical of a situation that should not have happened in the first place. But right now the time is just not right for that sort of discussion.

Maybe you think it is. If so, please share.

posted by Bill Purdy, 8:06 AM

2 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Pat Angello, said:
The looting is making me sick - shouldn't these people be helping those who cannot help themselves? I know you "don't want to cut (your) feets" by stepping on something you cannot see in the water, but do you really need to steal 10 pair of $125 Nikes? Thanks for taking valuable resources away - making police come to try and stop your disgusting acts instead of letting them help others.

There was a warning - most knew it was coming, and many didn't leave. Why? I wish I knew. I know a lot of the tourists tried, but could not find any type of transportation.

The raping and robbing of tourists by people that think this is an opportunity to turn back to the caveman days makes me wonder how people can get to that level. Granted I'm not in their situation, and I can say I'd do all sorts of noble things if I ever was. But I'm not, and I probably never will be. The mayor (or gov'nor) said this was "their Tsunami." But I didn't hear reports of looting, rape and anarchy after the Tsunami. I heard about people doing everything they could to help one another. And THEY are a third world country?

I am saddened by the suffering, the bodies, the desperation, the destruction, the looting, the anarchy, and by the racial slurs that come out of my mouth as I watch the video.

Does this help me feel better? http://neworleans.craigslist.org/apa/

A little bit.

A friend sent me a joke - A FREAKIN' JOKE - email this week about the hurricane. It was titled "My Hero" and featured a picture of a man in waist-deep water carrying a storage bin full of beer. Too soon, and not even close to funny. I think I'll counter with my own email to him - pictures of the National Guardsmen saving lives and title it the same thing. The worst part about that email? It came from an ex-Marine. I thought he knew better, had his head on straight, actually had respect for human life.

I'm also getting a little disgusted with the news anchors, sitting in their air conditioned studio with their Starbucks and bottled water, ripping on FEMA leaders for not doing enough. Sorry, but how can they even have any idea of what the situation is? This is FEMA's whole purpose - I'd like to think they know what they are trying to accomplish and how to go about it!

I can't keep going - sorry! I just hope the National Guard can restore order (so people in hospitals trying to transfer very sick patients don't have to worry about snipers - what IS that???) and get supplies, food and water to those who cannot help themselves.
...on September 02, 2005 10:47 AM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
For those who are wondering (and I know you're out there) I am NOT the friend who sent Pat the picture of the guy carrying beer. I'm the friend who sent him a link to the video of the parasol-carrying, tap-dancing polio-stricken transvestite named Goddess Bunny. That's the kind of friend I am.
...on September 02, 2005 2:44 PM  

Add a comment