Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Looters

I want to blather a bit about an email I've received at least three times in the past week. This is unusual, because aside from one fella who sends out something prurient, shocking, or (most often) simply amusing nearly every day, I don't get emails like that very often. Most people who would be inclined to send me jokey stuff know better than to waste their time sending it to me (I have a, uh, rather discriminating sense of humor). And nearly everyone who thinks about sending me something political or pseudo-scientific in nature realizes I'll probably respond with a link refuting every "fact" contained within it. What I've learned from those kinds of emails is that people are gullible, and they seem to hate being debunked.

The email I got (from three pretty disparate sources, remember) is a picture of a black guy -- presumable a victim of Hurricane Katrina -- looking anything but despondent as he walks through knee-deep water while carrying a tub full of Heineken (one bottle is tucked in his back pocket). The caption (which is written to look like a Heineken print ad) contains the punchline: "Heineken. Preferred By More New Orleans Looters."

Now I'm not one to shy away from race-based humor, which can be gut-bustingly funny when delivered appropriately. But my problem with this little joke isn't the race-based part, it's the humor part. It's just not a funny joke. Very mildly amusing, maybe (most of the amusement comes from the picture itself, which depicts the "looter" with a "lordy, I won the lottery" look on his face). But not particularly funny. And sort of forced.

So why did I get this same email from three different people (note that I am not saying it was either insulting or offensive, just not funny)? I'm worried it's because people think I am a racist. And I really don't think I am.

I have been known to use the "n-word" in casual conversation, especially since I moved to the south, where its impact is even more significant. But I defend my use of it for a couple of reasons: it's loaded with hypocrisy, and it's really funny to see people squirm when you drop it into conversation. I really try to know my audience well enough to understand who might be "offended" or "insulted" by it (I almost never -- hell, ditch the "almost," I never -- say it around black folks). Still, most non-black people are uncomfortable with it to some degree and I like to see how uncomfortable. I like to push buttons. It's just a word after all, and its a word the usage of which is acceptable for one group of people and not for others when referring to the same people.

But I am worried some folks might think that because I use "that word" or other epithets (which I also often think are pretty funny, especially the more clever ones), that I am a racist. And in the back of their mind, those folks think that I'll respond positively to a mildly amusing picture of a flood victim carrying a tub of beer.

(If you're tempted to lecture me about this admission of my occasionally freewheeling use of epithets, please understand my main points in using them. To me, they are words. Not hate words -- just words. I am not a racist. I just don't have the energy fot it. And I shouldn't have to go to great lengths to prove that to anyone. I am not always the nicest person but my negative reactions to people are never based on a person's race -- they are always based on their behavior. Big difference.)

Or, maybe it's just a coincidence. Katrina has been front and center in the public consciousness the past few weeks, and has been a topic of many conversations I've had with folks (many of which have to do with my feeling that the storm did more to expose America as a class-based society as anything I've ever heard on NPR). Maybe e-jokes like this are just a tacit admission that we are a class-based society, that much of the underclass is black, and that maybe it's their attitude that keeps them in the underclass.

Fuckin' looters.

posted by Bill Purdy, 9:20 AM

3 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Pat Angello, said:
I commented before to you the last time you brought up Katrina, and I'll say it again: watching the looters was absolutely disgusting! Wouldn't something like helping your fellow man be a better use of your ability to function during this tragedy? Oh, wait, you'd rather loot and then scream that the president "hates black people." The president doesn't hate anyone. But he was probably disgusted as well by the behavior by (mostly/many) black people after the storm. This behavior wasn't seen after the Tsunami, and that happened in a 3rd world country. We're supposed to be a civilived nation, but this is proof that we are far from it.

Bill, you obviously voted for Bush because it's evident you hate black sabbath as well...

(Oh, and to defend myself as well, I have nothing against black people as a race - nothing at all. I never even notice what color people are. As far as I'm concerned, there are only 2 types of people in this world: 1) decent, 2) assholes. The looters were being assholes. Al Gore and Sean Penn were being amazing as they were in the trenches saving people.)
...on September 27, 2005 12:09 PM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
Some guys at this bulleting board (with, evidently, WAY too much time on their hands) actually did a pretty good job of making "the looter" sorta funny:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33829382&page=1&pp=30

I aprticularly enjoyed "Whack-A-Looter," but maybe that's just me.

Matt, I forget... were you one of the racists who sent me the original picture?

Fuckin' racists.
...on September 29, 2005 9:44 AM  

Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
Walker! Glad you stopped by. I've missed you.

I wonder one thing after reading your far-too-well-written-for-this-forum rant: is there any difference at all (in this particular context) between, say, these two words:

* "c*nt"
* "cunt"

Same meaning, same pronunciation... so aren't they the same word? And doesn't your substitution of the word "c*nt" for "cunt" for purposes of politeness (I guess) basically support my argument that the word is the word, is the word? What's the point of being offended by one word, "cunt," but not "the c-word," or "c*nt?" I think it's an affectation and we'd do well just to move on and get over it. Hence, I push buttons. But I concede: I do so carefully.

One more thing: the "group" with which I identify most strongly finds one particular word more incendiary than any other these days: "racist." That's kinda my whole point, but I declined to bow to my readers' sensibilities by typing it "r*cist."

Oh, and Jessica... the last paragraph of my own rant was meant to be taken sarcastically. Not sure if that was clear.

Your suggestion (basically Marxism) has been proven to be more effective in theory than it is in practice.

Capitalists would frame your same question differently, substituting "upper" for "lower" in the last sentence. And they'd argue those who've taken advantage of opportunities that are available to everyone in a capitalist system would argue that it's precisely what's been the hallmark of success in our society. Glass half full, half empty I guess.

Boy... I hate to see how Walker tears this comment apart.
...on October 05, 2005 10:02 AM  

Add a comment