Monday, October 24, 2005

My right foot is getting heavier...

There are certain songs that just seem to add weight to my right foot. This mix is a compilation of some of those songs with the added twist of dividing them into “Night” and “Day”.

For me the ideal night driving song has some mystery to it. Just as your headlights illuminate only small bits of your surroundings offering you glimpses of what is around you a night song is calming but just below the surface or around the edges there is something more going on. During the daylight hours I think you need something that propels you down the road. A strong beat, a heavy bassline, something that nearly forces you down the road. Or something as simple as a great rhythm you can bob your head to while enjoying the scenery.

I think I've put together a good compilation of driving songs. Most, if not all, tested by yours truly. I hope you enjoy them.

Depeche Mode – Waiting for the Night
A full moon in the Indiana sky. Cornfields on either side of the two-lane road. I'm going 70 with the windows down on a warm summer night. This song proved its worth.

Hooverphonic – Inhaler
The light whisper-like vocals combined with the rising intensity of the music makes for a good driving tune in my book.

Eurythmics – This City Never Sleeps
OK, sure, so it is a fairly obvious choice but I think that Annie Lennox has one of the most beautiful voices I’ve ever heard. The hardest part is NOT thinking of 9 ½ weeks when you hear this song.

MC 900 Ft. Jesus – The City Sleeps
An interesting character study and makes for a nice counterpoint to the previous song.

Jesus Jones – Nothing to Hold Me
This has always reminded me of a song that would be in a John Hughes teen angst flick. I pictured some kid driving down a rain-swept street. Probably thinking about a relationship gone bad. Our perspective is from the outside of the car looking at him through the windshield, streetlights reflected by the drops of water that are periodically cleaned off by the windshield wipers. Work with me here.

Curve – Alligators Getting Up
I’ve been a big Curve fan for years. Toni Halliday has a great voice and the music on this song is a perfect compliment to it. It sounds seductive. Old film noir comes to mind when listening to this song.

Shriekback – This Big Hush
Just about the perfect night driving song. Delicate and menacing at the same time. The Fairlight synth playing against the deep vocals is great. I rewound the tape several times over driving between Lake Placid and Canton, New York one summer night.

The Sisters of Mercy – Driven Like the Snow
Builds slowly and steadily but when Doktor Avalanche kicks in it works really well. Coincidentally enough I was listening to this song while driving along the NYS Thruway on my way to Buffalo in a heavy snowstorm. Felt perfect.

Peter Murphy – Subway
This man has one of the most instantly recognizable voices I can think of. Seeing this song performed live is a pretty amazing experience.

Gorillaz – M1A1
I was very excited to work this song in. It provides the perfect bridge between the “Night” and “Day” parts of the CD. Starts out slowly, kind of a lonely sound that builds, builds and builds. Kind of like watching the sun rise.

Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now
It just has a real sense of urgency and steadily increases the weight of my foot. Sadly iTunes doesn’t allow me to edit songs and remove the cross over between this and the next song on the CD. You’ll live…

Freestylers – Here We Go Again
Lo-Fidelity Allstars – Battleflag
Stereo MCs – Connected
All three songs are pretty much the one hit these one hit wonders had but they always seem to get me going in traffic. Good Beltway tunes. Silly stupid fun but they get you where you are going. Plus, I think it was a masterstroke mixing them together, they just work really well as a group.

Filter – The Best Things In Life
The drum track is what gets me on this one - hard, fast and powerful. Plus the lyrics are appropriate.

Smashing Pumpkins – Apples + Oranjes
Old Billy C. actually sounds somewhat optimistic on this song. If only for that reason I included it on this mix. That and it is upbeat and a fun listen. Makes me think of summer.

Gang of Four – I Parade Myself
I’m breaking a cardinal rule, two songs by related bands on one mix. That aside, this is a really good song to drive to. It was also the only song Go4 played on their most recent tour that was not on “Entertainment” or “Solid Gold”. Means that I’m not the only one out there who likes it.

A Perfect Circle – Judith
Not to be too clichéd but this song simply rocks. And if you’ve never seen the video do yourself a favor and track it down.

Pearl Jam – Rearviewmirror
A helpfully titled song that captures the feeling of leaving something behind you. I’m of the opinion that PJ should have hung it up after their first two albums this song coming from the second.

The Afghan Whigs – Gentlemen
A nod to my days of living in Cincinnati - the Whigs hometown. In addition to being a great song to drive to it comes off an album whose cover ranks and one of the most disturbing images. Go ahead, look it up. You know you want to.

Rob Zombie – Living Dead Girl
Yes, I love Rob Zombie. Call it a guilty pleasure but the guy makes some great music to drive to. And to tell the truth, he is really quite literate and well spoken.

posted by Anonymous, 10:06 PM

2 Buffaloes were bitter enough to post comments:


Blogger Bill Purdy, said:
I absolutely cannot wait! Great mix! Shriekback and Stereo MCs on one disc... genius!
...on October 25, 2005 8:48 AM  

Blogger d-lee, said:
I agree. The cover for "Gentlemen" always freaked me out.

"Inhaler" is a great song. When I used to be really big into making mix cds, I'd include that one, immidiately followed by Pizzicato 5's "Happy Sad" because of the "A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular" theme.

In fact, that whole Hooverphonic album is a great driving record.
...on November 06, 2005 12:19 PM  

Add a comment